Notts County Sailing Club Racing
We have a vibrant club racing scene for all levels of ability so please come and join us. We are a friendly bunch so if you want to know more please talk to others. There are a number of coaching days for all levels from starting out to detailed tuning.
On the majority of race days there is safety cover and food available, along with the bar being open for after race discussions. Handicap racing is when all types of boat race together using a national formula to calculate results. Pursuit racing is when the slower boats are set off earlier according to the handicap system.
Whats On …
|Tuesdays Evenings||From April to August, two short handicap races aimed at encouraging those new to racing and less experienced junior and adult sailors and windsurfers (held one after another or back to back)|
|Wednesday Evening||Team 15 Coaching – informal racing|
|Thursday Evenings||From April to August, one race with separate starts for fast boats, slower boats and juniors. The racing is aimed at dinghy sailors of all abilities . Handicap racing.|
|Saturday afternoons||From April to October, two races for dinghy sailors and windsurfers of all abilities but specifically aimed at those new to racing. A Handicap race.|
|Sunday Spring||From the start of the season in March to mid-April, two races, morning and afternoon which are for dinghy sailors and windsurfers of all abilities. Handicap & Pusuit.|
|Sunday Main Series||From mid-April to mid-October, three races, morning and afternoon, which are for dinghy sailors and windsurders of all abilities. Includes class racing and handicap (or Menagerie) starts.|
|Sunday Frostbite||From mid-October to December, two races, morning and afternoon, which are for dinghy sailors and windsurfers of all abilities. The last race will normally be a pursuit i.e. slowest boats first and fastest last. Handicap & Pursuit.|
Dates and times …
|Day of week||Series||Start Date||End Date||Earliest Starts|
|Tuesday||Low key racing||24 Apr||30 Aug||1900|
|Wednesday||T 15 coaching||After Easter||End Sept||1630 approx|
|Thursday||Fast & slow handicap||19-Apr||30-Aug||1900|
|Sunday||Black & White||04-Mar||08-Apr||1100 and 1315|
|Main Series & Wadsworth||15-Apr||21-Oct||1100, 1315, 1515|
|Frostbite||4th Nov||16th Dec||1100 and 1315|
Other Key dates:
Saturday club 5th May to 8th Sept
Open meeting dates
Further instructions are displayed on the board by the Race Office.
Guidelines for racing
- On Saturdays and Sundays the fast and slow handicap the fast handicap will consist of Scorpions and faster boats plus the Finn. All other boats will sail in the Slow Handicap, except boats sailed with a junior helm and crew which may sail in the separate junior / youth start. On Thursday nights the Scorpions and Finn sail in the slow handicap fleet.
- To qualify for any junior or youth trophy no person over the specified age may helm or crew in the boat.
- For the provision of prizes, Junior and Youth ages are defined as on 31st December of the current year.
- All handicap races should contain all points of sailing for the PYN handicap system to work.
- When calculating the number of races required to qualify for a series you should always round up if necessary.
- Boats with class status should always start on their allotted start and may only race with the Menagerie Fleet if there are not enough boats to form a Class start, please refer to the Club SI's for more details. A class boat racing in the Menagerie Fleet will not receive a finishing position.
- With the exception of pursuit races all handicap races are average lap races.
- Members attending Open Meetings may apply for up to 4 qualifying points (Q points) in order to assist in ensuring the class achieves class status in subsequent seasons. For qualifying points to awarded a qualifying class race must have been sailed at Notts County. Qualifying points must be claimed before the end of the series in person, by e-mailer by post to the Results Secretary.
- On some Sundays (Topper, HANSA , Optimist) there is class racing only and a later start – see Race Notice board.
- December 16th is back to back racing
Information is also available through the links below:
Club Sailing Instructions 2017
Race Officer and General Timer Instructions
Open Events Checklist
Open meeting SI 2017
Race Officer Instructions (Nov 16) -
Race Clerk and Race Results Excel Calculator - Mar 17
Race instructions, including start / finish for all club racing
RYA Racing Charter
Junior Racing Guidelines
- Sailing Instructions NCSC Club Series ver001-17.pdf
- End of Duty.pdf
Last updated 15:25 on 26 March 2018